Friday, June 2, 2017

of Insurance, Unemployment and Things...

Has anyone made a list to check off everything that needs to be done when the party is over?

Research health insurance.
File for unemployment.
Research stock options.
Research 401K options.
Address changes for any professional periodicals and magazines you want to keep receiving.
Update Facebook profile.
Update Linked-In profile.
Are you eligible for long term associate discount card? (If you are, the form was prolly in your original packet.)

I didn't include job hunt in this list because it's pretty much a go to right off the bat. And I wish all of you looking the best of luck.

And there's always the infamous "What the hell do I do now???"

Most of you probably have that one figured out. But for our two month window, the priority is on a lot of the above, and maintaining your sanity. Mine stays in question as is evidenced by the title of this blog, but that's just who I am. Any of you who know me are aware of that. And my kids have been calling me this for years.

But none of the items on this list are cut and dried. There are intricacies involved that you might not think about, which is what prompted this post. Someone was trying to figure out the gap in insurance and still have coverage for their scripts. I hadn't even thought of that. I did, a couple weeks ago, call in refills on all of my scripts. Unfortunately, some of them won't be covered by insurance until specific days, the last day being the 12th of June, which happens to be my term date.

If you're on medicare, how will that insurance be affected? Which plan will Medicare accept? Is there going to be a gap in coverage that will affect whether or not you can pay for medications, or if you child gets hurt.

When do you file for unemployment? How much will you be allowed and for how long? When will it start?

What is the best plan for my stock? Keep it where it is, or pull it out and diversify into IRA accounts? Should I move it to an investor to be managed and risk losing some or all of it in the stock market? I can tell you I've been watching our stock daily.

I can tell you right now that I don't have answers for any of these questions except where it concerns me. There is no one size fits all for any of this. So do your due diligence and if there is anything I've forgotten, please let me know.

Have a great day all.

1 comment:

  1. definitely lots to think about. I know with Bob's, he met with the investment planner at our bank. Miles seems to have done good so far. He doesn't manage the stocks. He just gave Bob points to consider, helped him build the portfolio and our IRA's. Until Bob talked to him, we never even thought about starting an IRA for me since I'm self-employed. Hell, 15 years ago I never even thought we'd have enough to have IRAs or a stock portfolio. LOL Retirement definitely has pluses and minuses. Sending lots of good vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete